Accomplishments in 2011
ING improves understanding of Muslims and their faith by up to 75% in pre and post surveys. Find out which stereotypes of Muslims we're challenging daily. Read more.
ING grows in numbers of presentations and interfaith panels speaking to an average of 25,000 Americans of other faiths face-to-face in the Bay Area alone. Find out more about our topics of conversation here: Read more.
ING EXPANDS REACH
ING expanded to 22 (from 8 last year) regions around the country by helping to initiate Affiliates, which are organizations that duplicate ING’s work regionally. Find out where. Read more.
ING released online curriculum for teachers and professors which includes relevant national and state-based curriculum PowerPoint slides, full presentation notes, discussion question, and activities. Read more.
ING INITIATES MUSLIM YOUTH PROGRAM ADDRESSING BULLYING IN SCHOOLS
Partnering with the White House, Departments of Education, Health and Human Services and Justice, ING launched in the summer of 2011 a Bullying Prevention Program. Read more.
ING IN THE SPOTLIGHT 2011
- ING launched a new website.
- ING released a groundbreaking new interfaith app for the iPhone.
- ING President Maha Elgenaidi sat with President Obama at his table at the White House Iftar.
- ING held a successful interfaith 10th year anniversary 9/11 commemoration event.
- ING released a series of interfaith videos.
- ING President Maha Elgenaidi was honored by Glide Memorial Church at its annual gala banquet for her dedication indeveloping intercultural understanding.
GOALS in 2012
In the context of the political environment of American Muslims in 2012, public sentiments, and possible consequences, ING’s principle goal is to counter prejudice and discrimination against American Muslims by teaching about their traditions and contributions in the context of America’s history and cultural diversity, while building relations between American Muslims and other groups. Specifically, our goals as approved by the ING Board of Trustees at their December 15th board meeting resolve around the following four objectives:
1. Market new ONLINE lesson plans for teachers/college professors and the general public in regions where ING has Affiliates. And depending on funding, in other regions that have the greatest concentrations of Muslims and where Shariah ban campaigns are taking place.
3. Build the capacity of existing ING affiliates and expand in regions where Muslims are concentrated. Work with college campuses student programs in the expansion.
Continue to partner with federal government agencies in the expansion of the bullying prevention program to help Muslim youth and parents address bullying on school campuses.