Since 1993, ING’s educational outreach efforts have had a positive impact both locally and nationally. In the San Francisco Bay Area, home to one of the largest Muslim communities in the nation, ING has been serving the community by delivering 500-700 educational presentations and panels annually to diverse venues and institutions. Nationally, the Islamic Speakers Bureau program has been successfully duplicated by affiliates across the country.
ING Celebrates 19 Years of Community Service
Learn more about the work of ING by reviewing a timeline of our major events and achievements over the past 19 years. You will find listings of our past work in various venues, including statistics on classroom presentations in schools, colleges, and universities, training workshops for law enforcement agencies, corporations, and health care facilities, as well as programs in civic centers, faith-based groups, and other organizations.
Impact - Bay Area, CA: 2011 - 2012
- ING Increases Outreach to Adult Audiences in 2009-2010
- Before and After Surveys Show an Improvement of Perceptions of Muslims
- Interfaith Speakers Bureau Changes Hearts and Minds about People of Different Religious Backgrounds
- Teachers and University Faculty Find ING Content Relevant and both its Islamic and Interfaith Speakers Bureaus Effective
- Impact of ING Diversity Seminars for Leaders Overwhelmingly Positive
ING has long understood that seeking a better climate for Muslims requires improving interfaith relations generally. That is the reason ING started the Interfaith Speakers Bureau (IFSB) in 2007.
IFSB's role within ING is growing. There has been a modest but real growth in the percent- age of IFSB presentations as a portion of the total work of ING over the past two years. At least as important as the growth of IFSB within ING, however, is the diversity of venues where IFSB delivers presentations.
That's the lesson from our surveys of audiences after our presentations.
ING's mission is to promote understanding and respect among people of all faiths and of no faith; we envision an America and a world where there is no hatred, no prejudice, no discrimination, and no bullying on the basis of religion. We work hard not only to produce presentations of quality but also to gauge our impact to see what contribution we are making to realize our vision.
Based on 78 respondents, teachers give high ratings to our presentation content, with 100% rating it as "excellent" (80.8%) or "good" (19.2%).
Evaluations of our speakers are likewise positive, with 97.3% rated as "excellent" (83.1%) or "good" (14.2%).
Requesters were particularly impressed with
- Our speakers' knowledge of their material (90.4% "excellent," 9.6% "good")
- Their ability to convey it (82.2% "excellent," 17.8% "good")
- Their delivery skills (82.2% "excellent," 15.1% "good")
- Their ability to connect with their audience (83.6% "excellent," 9.6% "good").