Have you always wanted to respond to inaccurate information about Muslims but didn't know how? Have you been asked to speak about your faith but were afraid to? Here is your opportunity to learn how to educate others about American Muslims and their faith.
We invite you to become an ING affiliate to help promote safer communities, increase cultural competency, and prevent discrimination. ING can conduct training for speakers and spokespeople who are interested in joining an existing ING Affiliate, initiating their own speakers bureau to become an affiliate, or becoming an independently certified ING speaker.
Since 1993, the ISB program has been the core of the outreach efforts of ING to increase religious and cultural literacy and promote mutual respect among people of all faiths and none.
ING and its Affiliate speakers are certified after a rigorous process of professional development, testing, and observation in a live setting by veteran speakers. When presenting, ING speakers adhere to the First Amendment Center guidelines which are outlined in "ING and the First Amendment." These guidelines emphasize that speakers must adhere to the highest level of academic neutrality and objectivity when teaching about religion.
What steps to I take to become an ING Affiliate, as an independent speaker or bureau?
- Consult with ING programs director, Duaa Elzeney at
- Attend a pre-scheduled speakers training or organize an Affiliate Training in your region
Who should attend Affiliate trainings?
Affiliate trainings are speaker training workshop. They could be open to all Muslims who are interested in learning how to speak in public about Muslims and their faith in the context of social studies and world history curriculum or cultural diversity programming. Certified speakers are invited to schools and other public and private institutions, and deliver hundreds of onsite presentations to students and adults each year.
What will I learn?
The workshop will benefit you tremendously by increasing your knowledge of Islam and how to speak about topics relating to American Muslims and their faith to neighbors, colleagues, friends, and general audiences. ING's work and content materials are scholarly based. The Islamic Speakers Bureau speakers kit you will receive was developed over many years in consultation with scholars, including Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, Dr. Umar Faruq Abdullah, Dr. Ingrid Mattson and others, indigenous scholars who are traditionally educated.
What is Included?
* Leader-led training with interactive activities.
* A speakers kit with presentation materials and FAQs developed by scholars
* Public speaking tips
Top 5 Reasons to consider becoming an ING Affiliate:
1. You want to help counter prevalent stereotypes and Islamophobia that has reached unprecedented levels in recent months.
2. You want to define who you are rather than having others define you.
3. You want to answer common questions people have about Islam and Muslims.
4. You want to promote religious literacy both for yourself and others.
5. You want to promote understanding and as a result a more harmonious community in which you live.